COVID-19 – CORONAVIRUS Update from Theataccounts

We are fully aware of the issues surrounding Coronavirus and the repercussions it is having on our economy at present. 

We are trying to assist a significant level of clients with support and advice where possible.

It is an uncertain and difficult time for us all and Theataccounts are supporting where we can. 

The information regarding Sick Pay, Employment Support Allowance and Universal Credit is confusing but hopefully the below information will provide useful. 

Yesterday we contacted HMRC direct and will provide any updates as soon as possible.

If you are Self-employed and self-isolating due to illness – please read sections 1, 2 and 3

If you are Self-employed and experiencing loss of income – please read sections 2 and 3


1. Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you are unable to work due to illness, you can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

You will need to contact NHS 111 for a fit note.

ESA is £73.10 per week if you are over 25 years old. 

ESA is £57.90 per week if you are under 25 years old, this may increase to £73.10 once your claim has been assessed. 

You will have had to have paid National Insurance contributions (Class 1 (PAYE), Class 2 (Self Employed)) for both the 2017/2018 and 2018/2019 Tax Years. 

If this is the first time you’ve applied for ESA, you will receive money straight away if the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) thinks you’re likely to be eligible for ESA when you first apply. Even if the DWP eventually decides you won’t get ESA, you won’t have to pay that money back.


2. Universal Credit (UC)

If you are on a low income or out of work, you can apply for Universal Credit. 

You must have less than £16,000 in savings to be eligible. 

If you live with your partner, their income and savings will be taken into account too. 

The standard allowance is £317.82 if you are single and over 25 years old. 

The standard allowance is £251.77 if you are single and under 25 years old. 

You may be able to claim for more than the standard amount if you have children. 

You will need to verify your income each month.


3. Insurance

If you have income protection insurance, you may be able to claim for loss of earnings if you are out of work. 

We cannot advise on the amount or likelihood of a claim as each policy will differ. 

We would recommend that you contact your provider.



As the application processes have changed due to Coronavirus (there will be no face to face assessments from Tuesday 17 March), we would advise contacting the ESA or UC helplines, as they will be able to advise you of the best way to apply. 


Employment Support Allowance Helpline:

Phone: 0800 169 0154


Universal Credit Helpline:
Phone: 0800 328 5644



Phone: 0800 0159 559.

If you are concerned about paying your tax due to Coronavirus, you can call HMRC’s dedicated helpline for help and advice.



We are here to help with any questions that you have, the best contact details are;

Phone: 01905 70 60 50


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *