What expenses can I claim on my Tax Return?

One of the most confusing areas when you’re self employed is working out what expenses you can claim on your Tax Return.

We get asked lots of questions from our clients and potential clients – one of the most commonly asked is “What expenses can I claim?”

This varies depending on what type of work you do but below is a brief guide of some of the costs that you could get tax relief on.

The list is in no particular order and it does not cover every eventuality but it’ll give you a good idea:

  • Agent/manager fees and commission
  • Travel and subsistence
  • Accommodation
  • Costume and props
  • Laundry and cleaning of costume and props
  • Postage and stationary
  • Computer equipment and consumables (iPad/Mac/laptop/camera/software)
  • Bank charges on a business account
  • Telephone/mobile phone costs
  • Internet costs
  • Accountancy
  • Equity/Casting Call Pro/The Actors Guild subscriptions etc
  • Advertising
  • Website costs
  • Showreel costs
  • Headshots
  • Hair/beauty
  • Training/workshops
  • Professional lessons (singing/dancing etc)
  • Research costs (theatre and cinema tickets)
  • Use of home as office

The main point to remember is that if you are self employed you can claim for any expense on your tax return as long as it is “wholly and exclusively” for business use.

If an expense has a “duality of purpose” you can only claim the business proportion. An example of this would be mobile phone or travel costs. 100% of the cost would not necessarily be business related and therefore you should only claim the business proprtion.

It can be tricky to quantify the business/private proportion and an accountant can help you with this.

As always if you have any questions at all, even if you are not a client, we are always happy to help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *